OverviewThe City of Tega Cay would not be what it is without our volunteers. Working alongside staff, they strive to make "The Good Life" even better. Every year, our volunteers and staff work hard on such events as the Spring Pick-Me-Up Day, 4th of July Celebration, Fall Festival, our Summer Food Truck Rallies, and the Christmas Tree Lighting celebration just to name a few.
Committee members are appointed by City Council and serve a multi-year term. All Committee meetings are open to the public. View the 2019 meeting schedule here. All committees meet in the lower level of the Philip T. Glennon Center located at 15077 Molokai Drive, Tega Cay, unless otherwise advertised.
Open PositionsCurrently, there are vacancies on the following committees:
*Board of Zoning Appeals
*Building Codes of Appeals Board
*Economic Development Commission
*Storm Water Committee
*Tega Cay Forever Foundation
If you would like to be considered for any of these vacancies, please submit an application by clicking here. If you have any questions about joining a committee, please contact Katie Poulsen.
Committees, Commissions & Boards
Purpose, mission & Board member duties
Throughout the year, the Beautification Committee will be doing work days around town. Please feel free to come out and join them to help keep Tega Cay looking beautiful.
- Determining appeals from administrative decisions of the zoning administrator. When deciding administrative appeal from a decision of the zoning administrator, the board is not bound by the conclusion or reasoning of the zoning administrator and may consider and apply the appropriate provisions of the zoning ordinance as dictated by the facts before it.
- Granting or denying applications for variances. The board has the power to hear and decide appeals (requests) for variances when strict application of the zoning ordinance would result in unnecessary hardship. A variance allows the board to modify an otherwise legitimate zoning restriction when, due to unusual conditions, the restriction may be more burdensome than was intended. The variance must not impair the public purpose. To obtain a variance on the ground of unnecessary hardship, there must at least be proof that a particular property suffers a singular disadvantage through the operation of a zoning regulation.
- Granting or denying applications for special exceptions. The board of appeals has the exclusive power to permit uses by special exception subject to standards and conditions in the zoning ordinance.
Title 6, Chapter 29 of the Code of Laws, South Carolina Local Government Comprehensive Planning Act, as amended, requires that all local governments establish a Planning Commission. The duty of the Planning Commission is to engage in a continuous planning program for the physical, social and economic growth, development and redevelopment of the City. In carrying out its responsibilities, the Planning Commission has authority to do the following things:
- Comprehensive plan. Prepare and periodically revise plans and programs for development and redevelopment of its area.
- Implementation. Prepare and recommend measures for implementing the plan by the appropriate governing bodies, including the following measures.
- Zoning ordinances, including zoning district maps and necessary revisions.
- Regulations for the subdivision or development of land. The planning commission is responsible for overseeing the administration of land development regulations adopted by the local governing body.
- An official map and appropriate revisions showing the exact location of existing or proposed public streets, highways, utility rights-of-way and public building sites, with regulations and procedures for administering the official map ordinance.
- A landscaping ordinance providing required planting, tree preservation and other aesthetic considerations.
- A capital improvements program listing projects required to implement adopted plans. The planning commission must submit an annual list of priority projects to the appropriate governmental bodies for consideration when they prepare annual capital budgets.
- Policies and procedures to implement adopted comprehensive plan elements. These policies and procedures could cover such things as expanding corporate limits, extending public water and sewer systems, dedicating streets and drainage easements, and offering economic development incentive packages.
Volunteer for Community Events & Recreation Programs
The City of Tega Cay also offers various volunteer opportunities through our Community Events and Recreation Programs. There are many ways you can get involved:
- Workdays in Memorial Gardens
- Christmas Tree Lighting
- Fall Festival
- July 4th Land Parade
- July 4th Boat Parade/Windjammer Party
- July 4th Splish & Splash
- July 4th Birthday Party (Decorating)
- Recreation Coach
- Recreation Umpire/Referee
- Senior Games
- Spring Pick Me Up
- Catawba Park | Marketing & Fundraising
If you are interested in finding out more information and/or to sign up, click here and let us know.