Development Services offers residents, developers and contractors a range of services related to planning, zoning, code enforcement, construction and fire prevention activities in Tega Cay. Offices are located on the main floor of City Hall.
The Residential Building Department offers residents and home builders a wide range of services related to 1 and 2 family dwellings. This department reviews construction plans and conducts safety inspections during the construction of new residential structures, including additions, modifications, relocations, enlargements and replacements.
The Commercial Building Department offers contractors a wide range of services related to the construction, modification, relocation, enlargement, alteration, movement and replacement of businesses, institutions, schools, industrial and residential (other than single family dwellings) structures. This department reviews construction plans and conducts safety inspections during the construction of commercial, institutional and industrial structures.
- International Building Code (2021)
- International Residential Code (2021)
- International Plumbing Code (2021)
- International Mechanical Code (2021)
- International Energy Conservation Code (2009)
- International Fuel Gas Code (2021)
- International Fire Code (2021)
- National Electrical Code (2020)
- ICC/ANSI A117.1 Accessibility Code (Latest edition)
- South Carolina Building Codes Modifications (2021)
Planning is responsible for assisting the Planning Commission, City Council, developers and the general public in preparing for the future growth and development of the City. In addition, Planning develops and recommends policies, ordinances and maps, and provides management guidelines to support comprehensive planning efforts that encourage smart growth and development. Typical activities include reviewing rezoning requests, development of master plans, and transportation reviews, as well as long range and strategic planning.
- Planning Commission
- 2015-2025 Comprehensive Plan
- 2025 Comprehensive Plan Update (Adopted January 27, 2020)
- Growth Management Strategy
- Subdivision Land Development Code
- Perennial & Intermittent Streams Map
- Topographical Map
- Statewide Multimodal Transportation Plan
- Water System Technical Specs
- Fence Requirements
- Fence Opacity
Zoning regulates land uses within the City. Each parcel in the City is assigned to a zone which describes the regulations under which that land may be used. The Zoning Code identifies allowable uses and sets standards such as minimum lot size, and minimum front yard depth.
Board of Zoning Appeals (BOZA)
- Rezoning Application
- Board of Zoning Appeals Variance Application
- Board of Zoning Appeals Special Use Application
- Board of Zoning Appeals Administrative Appeal Application
The Zoning Administrator and/or Code Enforcement Officer are charged with the enforcement of the Zoning Code under both State and local authority, and other related ordinances. Whenever the department receives a written, signed complaint alleging a violation of the ordinance, the Code Enforcement Officer will investigate and may serve upon the violator a Notice of Violation outlining remedies and/or penalties for the offense. Violations may also be noted through regular inspection of all properties within the City by the Code Enforcement Officer, and citations will be duly issued.
The City of Tega Cay utilizes the services of Municipal Code Corporation to codify and publish its ordinances. The City of Tega Cay’s Code of Ordinances are made available to the general public on Municode's website. The City’s Code of Ordinances was last republished by Municode in 2013. Amendments to the City’s Code of Ordinances enacted subsequent to that time are submitted on an annual basis through supplements. Therefore, some amendments and new ordinances may not be included on Municode's site if it was enacted after the last supplement in November 2014. The updated City Code of Ordinances with amendments are available for public inspection at City Hall.
Development Services Staff
- Nick Cauthen - Planning and Development Manager
- Bryan Wessinger - Building Official
- Shana Carothers - Office Manager
- Lewis Thomasson - Code Enforcement Officer
- Tarra Blanchard - Permit Technician
- Phone: 803-548-3513
- Fax: 803-548-1400
- City Hall: 7725 Tega Cay Dr. Tega Cay, SC 29708