Trash and Recycle
Trash and Recycle Changes Frequently Asked Questions
The City’s current contract with Signature Waste will expire on October 1, 2022. In accordance with the City’s procurement policies, the City advertised for bids and City Council awarded Signature Waste the bid at their September 12th Council Meeting, Signature Waste’s bid provided 3 options:
- Signature Waste would continue to collect trash/recycle and the County would bill the City for recycle tipping fees. The City would bill households $25 per month through your Utility Bill. An increase of $7.40 from the current contact. The $25 fee covers the Signature Waste Collection Charge ($21) along with tipping fees and rejected/contaminated loads from the County
- Signature Waste would only continue to collect trash and leave recycling optional to residents. The City would bill households $17 per month through your Utility Bill. Customers would have the option to contract recycling services through Signature Waste for $10 per month, with another vendor or forgo recycling services.
- Signature Waste would continue to collect all trash/recycle and be responsible for the recycle tipping fees from the County. The City would bill households $24.55 per month. Signature Waste would reserve the right to increase fees due to charges from the County (i.e. rejected/contaminated loads).
City Council selected option 2.
- Why is this service changing? Despite the City’s best efforts, high levels of the recycle loads collected in the City were contaminated by non-recyclable material and sent to the landfill. Since the City began charging for this service, many have asked for the ability to opt out of the recycle program. Option 2 provides residents with the ability to choose how they handle their recyclable materials.
- What are my options moving forward and how much does it cost? Option 1: Discontinue recycling, handle your recyclable materials on your own: take them to a convenience center or throw them away. You will only be charged $17 per month through your Utility Bill for trash collection. Option 2: Continue recycling services through Signature Waste. You will be charged $17 per month through your Utility Bill for trash collection. You will also be charged $30 per quarter ($10 per month) directly through Signature Waste for the recycling service. Option 3: Discontinue recycling and add a second trash cart. You will be charged $17 per month through your Utility Bill for trash collection. You will also be charged $30 per quarter ($10 per month) directly through Signature Waste for the additional cart.
- How do I make a selection? When do I have to decide? Please ensure you make a selection with Signature Waste by October 24th at www.signaturewaste.com/tegacay
- What happens if I do not make a selection? If you do not make a selection by October 24th your recycling services will be discontinued and your recycle cart will be collected by Signature Waste.
- If I elect to discontinue recycling will my taxes go down? No. A service fee has been charged on your Utility Bill for the last 5 years. Trash and recycle collection are not funded by your City taxes.
- If I discontinue recycling with Signature Waste when will my cart be picked up? For residents that elect to forgo recycling, cart collection will begin November 1st for the Peninsula and November 8th outside of the Peninsula. Following collection on those days please leave your cart out and Signature waste will pick up your cart.
- Will Trash and Recycle Collection Days Change? No. Trash collection will remain every Monday except for holidays. Recycle collection will continue to be every other Tuesday except for holidays.